December 2009: The even greater silence
Advent is a time of preparation for the coming of Christ at Christmas, and also the second coming of Christ at the renewal of the heavens and earth. This service included two periods of silence as we reflected on these themes.
Between the Old and New Testaments there are 400 years without word from God. When there is silence from heaven, how do we wait amid noise on earth?
a dramatic piece, ending with questions to reflect on to be projected onto a screen that will gradually fade into darkness
- starting with angel to Zechariah, ending with John 1
lighting eight candles in homage to Hanukkah
- more words from the life of Jesus to end with Great Commission
- thanks for Jesus being born in our world
– how do we wait for the second coming?
- during which people will be invited to light a candle as a sign of wanting to participate in bringing in God’s kingdom on earth
As candles fill the church with light, turn lights down
Prayer – recognising that people wait for different things and with different feelings
– we choose to wait in hope
For both of these see here